Why we love The Rocks...
Our Home... The Rocks
Just a little appreciation post here….thought it was time to give a shout out to the iconic precinct and our home, The Rocks, Sydney!
First off…wow! One of the oldest settlements, The Rocks or Tallawoladah, which is the traditional name given to the area by the Cadigal people, is filled with history, artisan restaurants, cafes and retailers, and, of course, jaw dropping views of Sydney Harbour. If you’re wondering…Yes! We can see the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House from the doorstep of Faid!
Being part of the community of retailers at The Rocks has been amazing, we are so grateful to have found you! It’s been wonderful to laugh and cry with you, tell stories and share challenges – especially throughout this pandemic (it’s nice to know we’re not alone!). I also have to say thank you to the locals and regular visitors who have supported us from the moment we opened.
For those of you who have a visit to The Rocks on your ‘Out-of-Iso To-Do’ list, we’ve put together a list of our favourite retailers and eateries. If you want to support small Australian businesses during this time you can also shop and support them online (links below).
1. The Fine Foods Store – we couldn’t have gotten through the build of Faid without the toasties served up here (Kathryn and Tessa always go for the ham and cheese but I gotta say the mushroom and Goats cheese is my number one). There’re also a myriad of delicious breakfast and lunch options. And I can’t forget to mention the coffee oh and the oat milk chai's…perfect every time (thanks Chris!).
2. La Renaissance Patisserie and Café – got a sweet tooth? You’ll be in heaven here. Everything is presented beautifully and tastes equally good. With a cute courtyard out back, it’s the perfect place to catch-up with friends or enjoy a good book. Also…the mushroom quiche is 10/10!
3. The Doss House – A whisky bar located directly below Faid (after work drinks have never been closer). The must order is the Native Sharing Platter (Kangaroo prosciutto is amazing!). Great drinks and live music also available.
1. Hunting Hue – Owner, designer and photographer Rebecca has an eye for the creative and chic. Rebecca’ silk printed scarves with scenes of Sydney and surrounds are her best sellers and the perfect keepsake to honour your travels to The Rocks (plus they are very stylish – which always helps!). Rebecca’s Mum also hand makes clay figures which I adore (I purchased some of her little convict figurines for my brother – they even came with their own arrival card).
2. Jason Ree Design – I love to admire the intricate, hand-made jewellery by Jason and the team. Original designs using a variety of the best
- For my birthday a few years ago I did a Cryptic Cities tour of The Rocks and I haven’t stopped talking about it since. It’s a great way to see all of The Rocks, learn some history and see some great sights (also very affordable!).
Check out The Rocks for more and, as always, thank you for supporting Australian small business – we hope to see you soon.
All our love,